Sunday, August 3, 2014

[GCDP] Padang, Day 18 to Day 23

Hi readers,

Apologies if the blog has not been updated as I was away for the Hari Raya holidays. I will summarize day 18 to day 23 with some picture and a few words.

Day 18
First day of Lebaran. My host family and I went visiting neighbours and relatives from Papa's side. It was mainly eating and meeting people. I even manage to get some duit Raya (money you get from people who are married, think Chinese New Year red packets but in this case for Hari Raya).


 Met Meiki's cousin, Syuja, who learn English through video games and it is good for a 13 year old.

Eating lontong during Lebaran. Not the first and not the last.

After that, we went to Persisir Selatan, to visit Mama's side of the family. Had dinner along the way before reaching the place. Visited some relatives before turning in for the night.

Day 19
2nd day of Lebaran. A few things caught my interest. One of it was the well and the other was the tank for taking a shower.

The source of water for everyday use

What was interesting/weird was that the tank use for taking a shower is also use to keep fish. At first, I find it disgusting and also not hygienic. At the same time, there wasn't much of a choice. Thankfully, I didn't scoop any fishes while showering.


We went to visit more relatives and we reach one of the relatives' house which was near the beach and which was supposed to be the place to stay on the first night.

Meiki, Novia, Dinda, a few cousins and me went to the beach. It was nice and the sunset was even more nice.

Sunset at Kambang

Had grilled fish for dinner and that was followed by durian and roasted sausages and chicken balls for supper.

Video of the view of the beach

It was a long day and before I went to sleep, I was awoken by Mama as there was a crab that crawled in and was next to me. Mama got rid of the crab and I continue sleeping.

Day 20
Final day of the trip to Kambang. Woke up to a nice view on Pasir Putih beach before cleaning and packing up. Had breakfast with Meiki before we had brunch with the other family members, Eko and grandma. Food in Kambang is even more spicier than what I had in Kota Padang.


After that, it was visiting more relatives and playing with Meiki's nephews and nieces. And the long trip back home begins. Eko went back with us for a couple of days.

The view from the warung we had brunch

It took about 4 to 5 hours to reach back home. We had a short break for instant noodles before finally reaching back around 1am. Wash some of the clothes which was piling up, hang it to dry on the 3rd floor before going to sleep.

Day 21
Woke up around 11am and after getting dressed, I went to meet up with Rizki, whom I have not met for a long time since my visit to LC UKM's AIESEC Gathering though we were still connected via Facebook.


After hanging around and talking in his house, we decided to head to Pondok for lunch. We ate at Es Durian and share some different kinds of food from sate to gado gado to mpek mpek.


We went to Capitea after lunch and headed to Plaza Andalas to fix my phone. Unfortunately, it can't be fixed and it only meant that I have to get a new phone when I get back to Malaysia. I got myself an external battery charger and that meant that I can only use my phone up to a certain time (say 12am or my battery goes flat, whichever comes first) and I have to turn off my phone and charge my battery.

We ended the day with lunch at CFC before heading back home.

Day 22
Highlight of the day was karaoke though only with 4 people: me, Meiki, Monik and Ihsan, who did his GCDP in Malaysia via AIESEC in UTM. Rizki came late but join us for other activities we had in mind.


We went to Capitea to chill and play games. We played UNO cards and UNO stacko. It was fun and it has been a while since I played UNO.


After that, it was dinner at Suerabi Bandung with everyone except Rizki, who had to go back home early. Ate a lot and chit chat before it was time to head back. Waited for Mama at McDonalds while meeting previous AIESECers.

Back at home, Meiki and I were talking about things regarding the past and AIESEC until it was 1:30am. Took a quick shower before going to sleep.

Day 23
Cousin Syuja came over to the house together with his parents and 2 brothers. Played some PS2 games before having lunch at home and after that, it was off to Plaza Andalas (again). 3 days in a row to Plaza Andalas. Met up with the other EPs and we went for karaoke. More AIESECers came, including new EPs who arrived within the holiday week.

Syuja went with us for karaoke and get to interact with interns who are in the same batch as me. After karaoke, it was the beach to view the sunset.

 Beautiful sunset on a beach in Padang

Took pictures and selfies before having dinner at CFC. After that, Mama picked us up from Plaza Andalas before taking many detours before being able to send Niki back.

Sat in the boot on the way back. Played some video games with Syuja and Meiki before continuing my work and blogging some delayed posts.

Photo with Meiki (centre) and Syuja

Going to get some rest. Thank you and goodnight. =)

2 comments:

  1. It is so interesting! Take bath using fish tanks, it is unusual!

    ReplyDelete