Sunday, July 13, 2014

[GCDP] Padang, Day 1 & 2 [Edited]

After ending my term and looking for projects in different local committees and countries, I finally decided to go for the Global Community Development Programme (GCDP). Destination? Padang, Indonesia.

Why Indonesia? Despite being an hour flight away, I believe there is much more to explore and experience in terms of culture and environment for a country that has similar culture and language to Malaysia.

I will be working on this project called WIFU which is about teaching children English in an orphanage in the upcoming weeks.

Day 1
Had trouble sleeping as it is not easy to pack for 6 weeks. Only slept at 4am and woke up at 8am. Headed to the airport, had lunch, took a video and posted it on Malaysian AIESECers and waited for the flight.

                                  

Leaving Malaysia for 6 weeks

After 1 hour and 5 minutes, I finally touchdown in Padang. Saw a lot of coconut trees and paddy fields from the plane. After passing through Immigration, the first to meet me at the airport was Syaban, who was in Malaysia for a project called Techcycle, Tech for All and who had some influence in my decision to come to Padang.


Met up with Ilma and Vini at the airport before we head to the host family to drop my luggage. After that, head to the AIESEC office of LC UNAND. They have 2 offices. How cool is that?

One of 2 AIESEC office for LC UNAND (University of Andalas)

Went to Plaza Andalas with AB and we got on to an Angkot which is a colourful van. Each colour will bring you to a different place. 

After eating at Plaza Andalas, both of us went to look for the other interns. We manage to meet up and have dinner together. First time I ordered Sate Padang, which is beef satay with a unique sauce.


 Went to Plaza Andalas again before taking an ojek home. Ojek is a motorcycle taxi and it is my first time riding on a motorbike and without a helmet. Was I fearing for my life? Oh yeah but it was exciting at the same time. Feeling the wind blown in your face and hoping that you don't fall off. Which is why I put my hands on the shoulders of the rider. Arrived back safely and went to sleep before heading to the beach.


Day 2
Second day in Padang. Both AB and I went to Plaza Andalas to meet up with the others before heading to the beach. The weather was cloudy and it look like it was going to rain. We proceed to the beach.


Upon arriving after an hour, we just started taking pictures.


The plan looked to be jeopardize as the weather conditions were uncertain. Some went to the boat out in sea, some stayed on the beach chatting, taking photos or eating.

Mie Rebus and Coffee

By 11am, the plan was cancelled. However, there was a sudden plan which was to go hiking up to the waterfall. A few went back while the huge majority went on to hike the waterfall. On the way up, it starting raining heavily, so, we went to find a place with shelter while waiting for the rain to stop.

 The people who went hiking to the waterfall

After hiking for about 20-30 minutes, we finally reached the waterfall. It was either taking photos or taking a swim. Some did and some didn't. The rain started pouring heavily and everyone went back down. Went to Plaza Andalas, had late lunch, reload my phone with credit and Internet and met up with AB before heading back home.




Finally met my host family and we had dinner together. Food was good thought a bit spicy. That marks an end to Day 2 of my adventure in Padang.

Overall, tiring but fun. Till then, goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment